COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE STATEMENT ("PRIVACY STATEMENT")
Our Privacy Commitment
We want you to know:
- Why we collect your Personal Information
- How we use and protect your Personal Information
- The circumstances in which your Personal Information may be disclosed
- How you may request access to your Personal Information
What is "Personal Information"?
Personal Information is any information that identifies you as an individual. It does not include business contact information used for business purposes.
Personal Information that we collect, use, and disclose to and from you or other sources may include but is not limited to your name, address, date of birth, gender, personal references, employment records, unique identification numbers (including social insurance number, driver's license, birth certificate, passport) and personal financial records, including your credit history.
Your request for or use of financial products and services from ATBIM is your acknowledgement of the following:
Collecting Your Personal Information
1. ATBIM will treat your Personal Information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation and any written agreement between you and ATBIM.
2. All Personal Information that you have provided to ATBIM must be true, accurate, and complete. This applies to all Personal Information that you give in the future in connection with any application or agreement for products and services.
3. You agree to help keep the Personal Information held by ATBIM up-to-date through prompt notification of changes to your telephone number, address, email, or other Personal Information.
4. You consent to ATBIM, from time to time, collecting Personal Information about you. You acknowledge receipt of notice that ATBIM may collect your Personal Information from you as well as from any third party, including any credit-reporting agency, personal information agent, insurance company, other financial institution, other credit grantor, and your current or former employer or any other person, corporation, organization, society, or other entity from time to time. Where applicable, ATBIM may also collect your motor vehicle information from Alberta Registries (or any other provincial government department having jurisdiction in that area).
Using and Disclosing Your Personal Information
1. ATBIM may use your Personal Information as follows:
(a) To verify your identity;
(b) To assess your financial behaviour, payment history, and credit worthiness;
(c) To provide, and obtain from, credit-reporting agencies, mortgage insurers, and other financial institutions, or where ATBIM is required or permitted to do so by law;
(d) To assess your initial and ongoing eligibility for ATBIM products and services you request;
(e) For any purpose related to the provision of services you request from ATBIM. ATBIM may also give it to any third party contracted with or for ATBIM, but only as needed for the provision of those services and provided they comply with PIPA or applicable privacy legislation;
(f) To comply with legal and regulatory requirements. This may include but is not limited to income tax reporting (which includes your social insurance number where you hold a product that generates income), investigations pursuant to legislation or law enforcement, or disclosure to government agencies, regulatory authorities, public bodies, other entities, or self-regulatory bodies. The regulatory authorities may use and disclose your Personal Information for investigation and enforcement purposes;
(g) To transfer your Personal Information to a third party pursuant to an assignment or sale that is permitted by any agreement between you and ATBIM;
(h) To confirm ownership or description of any collateral;
(i) To service, monitor, or maintain your account, product and service;
(j) To understand your needs and to offer other products and services to meet those needs;
(k) To report any account irregularities to any credit reporting agency; and
(l) To provide you with notices that serve the interests of clients of ATBIM.
2. ATBIM may share your Personal Information with third parties or agents within or outside the Province of Alberta or Canada for the purposes of managing your relationship with us, and the products or services you request. Such Personal Information in the custody and control of a third party or agent in another province or country is subject to the laws of that jurisdiction. As such, your Personal Information may be collected, used, or disclosed by such third parties or agents without your knowledge or consent where required or permitted by law.
1. ATBIM may also use your Personal Information for marketing purposes including:
(a) To assess your initial and ongoing eligibility for other products and services of ATBIM or its affiliates;;
(b) To promote ATBIM, ATB Financial or third-party products and services;
(c) To give it to third parties so they can promote products and services of ATBIM or the third parties;
(d) To give to third parties contracted with or for ATBIM so they can promote additional products and services to you; and
(e) To use your social insurance number to help identify you with credit-reporting agencies and other financial institutions to ensure the accuracy of information collected and reported for credit data-matching purposes.
2. Where your relationship with us is governed by securities law or regulatory requirements, your express consent (meaning your written or verbal consent) may be required for marketing purposes identified in section 7. Where applicable, ATB Financial will obtain your express consent.
Retention of Personal Information
The length of time we retain your Personal Information varies depending on the nature of your relationship with us, and the type of product or service you have. We will keep your Personal Information for as long as is required, so if you cease to be a client of ATBIM, we may keep your Personal Information for as long as it is required to meet any and all legal, legislative, and regulatory requirements.
We have policies in place to govern the secure destruction of any Personal Information we hold and no longer require.
You may request that ATBIM not use your Personal Information for marketing purposes at any time as long as:
(a) There are no legal requirements for ATBIM to use your Personal Information;
(b) Withdrawing your consent does not result in our inability to fulfill any agreement you have with us; and
(c) You give ATBIM notice by notifying your Investment Counsellor or Portfolio Manager, or by completing our secure online opt-out form at https://www.atb.com/optout; calling the Client Contact Centre at 1-800-332-8383; or contacting an ATB Financial branch directly.
(d) CASL Preference (Opt in/Unsubscribe) - ATBIM follows the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). This means that we need to have your permission to keep you up-to-date about products, services, helpful news or other relevant information. Unsubscribe from receiving ATBIM updates.
ATBIM has a complaint resolution process if you are concerned about the collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information. Please use the contact information below to reach out to us.
Keeping Your Personal Information Accurate
We are committed to maintaining the accuracy of your Personal Information. To keep your Personal Information current and complete, we encourage you to notify us of any changes, including to your name, address, telephone, or email information. If upon review of your Personal Information you discover any inaccuracies, please contact your Investment Counsellor or Portfolio Manager at your earliest convenience.
Our Privacy Commitment
We take our responsibility to respect and protect your Personal Information seriously.
If you have any questions about our Privacy Code, our Privacy Statement, or our privacy practices, or if you would like to review your Personal Information, please contact an ATB Financial branch, call our Client Care Centre at 1-800-332-8383, or write to ATB Financial's Privacy Officer at:
ATB Financial Privacy Officer
#2100, 10020 – 100 Street (Transit #115)